world is beautiful . net
world is beautiful . net
loading

Detaille Island photograph by Tang Tak Yip Antarctica

Detaille Island
a beautiful photograph by

Tang Tak Yip

flickr.com/photos/137655258@N08/

Country : Antarctica
Area : Detaille Island

Comments
This place is the first landing spot in Antarctica in a 14 days trip, while the location is just inside the Antarctica circle. Photo was taken by Sony A7 Mark II with the lens FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS.



License and usage policy

All photographs hosted on worldisbeautiful.net servers are copyright by the original authors of that content. It is licensed only for personal use on computers, cellular phones, and other personal electronic devices. All other uses (whether or not for profit) including redistribution (with or without modification of the original work) is strictly prohibited by law without additional written permission by the copyright holder.

Detaille Island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detaille_Island

Detaille Island is a small island off the northern end of the Arrowsmith Peninsula in Graham Land, Antarctica. From 1956 to 1959 it was home to "Base W" of the British Antarctic Survey[1] and closed after the end of the International Geophysical Year (IGY). It is now often visited by Antarctic cruise ships but is otherwise unoccupied.

Thanks to the men’s hasty departure and the necessity that they take little with them, Base W is an eerily preserved time capsule of 1950s Antarctic life. The base had been intended to host dog-sledging survey parties which would cross the sea ice to the nearby Antarctic Peninsula, but the ice was dangerously unstable. When Base W was vacated, heavy sea ice prevented resupply ship Biscoe from approaching closer than 50 kilometres (31 mi), despite the assistance of two U.S. icebreakers. So the men were forced to close up the base, load sledges with only their most valuable gear and use dog teams to reach the ship.[2]

The Station W was established in 1956 as a British research station primarily for survey, geology and meteorology and to contribute to the IGY in 1957. It consists of a hut and associated structures and outbuildings, including a small emergency storage building, bitch and pup pens, anemometer tower, and two tubular steel radio masts. As a relatively unaltered research station of the late 1950s, it provides a reminder of the science and living conditions that existed when the Antarctic Treaty was first signed in 1959.